Basket empty
View BasketCheckout

Artist Prints - Busser Howell

Busser Howell

“My works are intuitive glimpses of time and space”


Busser Howell, 1946

An abstract expressionist, Busser Howell’s paintings are characterized by their richly textured, monochromatic surfaces. 

Originally from Ohio, Howell attended the Drayton Art Institute, Wright State University, and Boston University of Fine Art. Busser lost 98 percent of his vision when he turned 15 and the remaining 2 percent when he turned 40. “I lived with a very small field of vision” he recalls, “when I lost all my sight I continued to paint. I just changed the process that I used". His highly impastoed canvases act as a tool by which he communicates his point of view and how he experiences the world.

"When I’m working on a canvas, I see it in my mind. Sighted people think that everything is going on in your eye. Your eye is actually nothing more than a receptor, much like a canvas. Where you’re actually seeing is your brain. I see space in my head, I see color.”

Howell’s paintings have been exhibited at The Smithsonian, The Philadelphia Museum of Art and can be found in the Permanent collection of the New British Museum of American Art.

Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell
Busser Howell